United Way of the Piedmont is excited to announce the newest graduates of its Youth Philanthropy Board program. Fourteen high school juniors and seniors along with their friends and families attended the Youth Philanthropy Board graduation on Wednesday, May 8th.
United Way’s Youth Philanthropy Board is comprised of Spartanburg County high school juniors and seniors with a demonstrated interest in giving back to their communities. The group meets monthly throughout the school year to learn and grow as philanthropic leaders. Each meeting, they have the opportunity to hear from community leaders from the nonprofit, corporate, and business sectors. Students learn about community issues related to education, financial stability, and health and then apply this knowledge in their own grant application process. Local organizations apply to the Board to fund various initiatives and the students make funding decisions based on need and strength of the program. This year the group awarded $5,475 to seven programs.
United Way of the Piedmont would like to congratulate the Youth Philanthropy Board 2019 Graduates:
- Melody Brown – Boiling Springs High School
- Kirby Brown – Chapman High School
- Fabiola Diaz – High Point Academy
- Anne Dobson Ball – Spartanburg Day School
- Hannah Edmonds – Woodruff High School
- Becka Greer – Chapman High School
- Xavier McKnight – Spartanburg High School
- Karen Nicodemus – Dorman High School
- Leah Ogle* – Spartanburg High School
- Kesha Patel* – Dorman High School
- Gurujjal Roopa* – Dorman High School
- Pramita Suresh* – Spartanburg High School
- Aria Surka – Dorman High School
- Lindsay Young^* – Spartanburg High School
^ UWP Board of Directors Liaison
* Served on the YPB for 2 years
Since launching in 2014, over 50 students have served on the Youth Philanthropy Board and have awarded over $14,000. Applications are open for next school year’s Youth Philanthropy Board and may be found on United Way’s website: https://www.uwpiedmont.org/ypb Applications will be reviewed and new members will be selected in late August.